Sr. Principal Engineer Mechanical
Company: Northrop Grumman
Posted on: June 20, 2022
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities
to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around
the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and
inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many
technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first
flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on
the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a
pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun
along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity,
cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we
have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our
employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products
and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has
opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space
exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting
multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a
culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining
Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and
protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the
future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems has an opening for a Sr. Principal
Mechanical Engineer to be part of our Integration (Build) and Test
team working on the Glide Phased Interceptor Program in Launch
Vehicles at our Chandler, AZ facility.
The candidate will serve as the Integration (build) and Test
Mechanical or Electrical Engineer for the Glide Phased Interceptor
program requiring the candidate to function in a dynamic
multi-disciplinary environment. Daily responsibilities will require
direct contact with launch vehicle flight hardware and ground
support equipment. The candidate will help develop the concept of
operation for all integration and test activities associated with
preparation and execution of flight test operations at the launch
Specific duties may include but not limited to:
- Writing and reviewing work instructions
- Planning and scheduling day to day tasks
- Hands-on testing at a systems level.
- Developing and maintaining processes and procedures for the
assembly and test of launch vehicle systems.
- Coordinating integration activities with supervisors, program
engineers and various customer organizations.
- Incorporating design changes on work in process or completed
assemblies; documenting and dispositioning hardware discrepancies
and pursuing root cause and corrective actions.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Hands on integration experience with multiple sub-systems or
components is required.
- Work independently and complete assigned tasks without direct
- The candidate must be willing to occasionally work during odd
hours (nights/weekends) and occasionally longer than normal (>
40 hrs/wk) to meet program deadlines.
- Travel for long durations (4-8 weeks) to support field
operations at the launch range. Travel to but not limited to US
west coast, possible international travel, requiring a
- Drive tasks to completion autonomously
- Work in a fast paced environment and multi-task
- Work in a team environment, and lead small projects or
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology,
Engineering or Math) with 9 years of related engineering
experience; OR a Master's degree in STEM with 7 years of related
engineering experience, or a PhD in STEM with 4 experience
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation 25%
- Candidate must possess or have the ability to obtain a U.S.
Passport for travel
- Candidate must be able to obtain a DoD Secret level security
- System integration, testing, production and launch operations
experience is required.
- Skills to write test procedures and review test data to ensure
that hardware is tested properly and has passed all required
- Active DOD Secret security clearance or higher
- Experience performing formal requirements decomposition and/or
- Mechanical or Aerospace engineering background
- Experience with Northrop Grumman LV I&T
standards/guidelines and expectations
- Experience with external customer interfacing (meetings,
- Experience working with operational hazards such as propulsive
devices, pressurized systems, overhead lifting, and high voltage
systems is desired.
- Experience with proposal writing
- MES (Manufacturing Execution System) software file creation,
plant floor layout, production build experience, BOE (Basis of
Estimate) creation, and Costpoint system knowledge
- Experience working with design, integration, or testing of
launch vehicles is highly desired.
- CAD experience is preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to
present to large customer community
- Ability to solve problems, support troubleshooting efforts,
drive tasks to completion Salary Range: $98,700 USD - $148,100
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to
base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual
contributions as well as allow employees to share in company
results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be
eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman
provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage,
life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays
and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top
priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on
their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be
required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved
disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future
court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed
federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse
workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color,
religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital
status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any
other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions.
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Chandler , Sr. Principal Engineer Mechanical, Engineering , Chandler, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!